Bessie’s Yorkshire Preserves – Sweet Pastry Heart Biscuits With Jam
- 150g plain flour
- 75g unsalted butter
- 50g icing sugar
- 1 egg
- Bessie’s Yorkshire Preserves Jam – you can use our raspberry, strawberry, blackcurrant and blueberry and lime jams. Suitable for vegetarians, vegans and they are all gluten-free.
- Pre-heat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Sieve your plain flour and icing sugar into a bowl to remove all the lumps.
- Chop your butter into small cubes to make sure it is easier to rub into the flour and icing sugar.
- Rub your butter into the flour and icing sugar by massaging your thumbs into your fingertips, so as to make a breadcrumb-like consistency.
- Now add in your egg and incorporate it into the mixture until you get a dough. If the mixture is still dry, add milk or water to it so to combine it with the rest of the pastry.
- Roll into a ball, wrap it in cling film, and let it rest for up to 30-60 minutes in the fridge. This is an important step as it will firm up the fat in the pastry and allow the gluten strands to relax, improving the pastry’s texture.
- After the pastry has been chilled, you can now roll out the pastry until it is 2-3mm in thickness and cut out the pastry with a pastry cutter.
- Lay them out on a tray with a sheet of parchment paper and with half of the biscuits, use a heart-shaped pastry cutter to cut a heart in the middle of the biscuits.
- Bake them for 15 minutes.
- After you have baked the biscuits, allow them to cool, and once cooled, you can now put ½ – 1 tsp of your desired jam onto the cooked biscuits (the amount of jam you use will depend on how big your biscuits are, but do note that if you put too much jam in the filling, there is a possibility of it seeping out of the sides).
- Place the biscuits with the heart cut-out onto the biscuit side with jam on, as if making a sandwich.
- Enjoy your biscuits and take a photo of them and tag us at @bessiesyp on Instagram, Facebook or TikTok! We would love to see your creations!
This recipe is suitable for vegetarians.
This recipe can be altered for you if you are vegan or have a gluten allergy/intolerance:
- Vegans can swap the dairy butter for a dairy-free/plant based butter option,
- People with a gluten allergy/intolerance can exchange the plain flour for a gluten-free plain flour option and use 1 tsp of xanthan gum to help bind the pastry together well.