Indulge yourself in a British staple! Nothing quite beats a warm succulent roast dinner, with a moist, spongy cake for afterwards. Impress your family and friends with your amazing baking abilities using this quick and easy recipe which will definitely leave them in awe, and send them plunging – head first – into food heaven. Never underestimate the power of good, hearty food!
Victoria Sponge – serves 8 people
- 250g self-raising flour
- 250g butter
- 250g caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 100g butter
- 150g icing sugar
- 4 tsp of Bessie’s Yorkshire Preserves strawberry jam
- Cream your caster sugar and your butter together using an electric whisk (it is important to make sure your sugar and butter have turned a very pale white colour before proceeding).
- Add your 4 eggs one at a time, making sure the eggs are fully combined before adding the other one in.
- Sift in your flour and mix until well combined until the consistency resembles a cake batter.
- Before putting into 2 cake tins, add your 1 tsp of vanilla extract and mix well into the batter.
- Bake this at 180 degrees celsius for 20 minutes.
- For the filling, you will need to cream the butter and icing sugar together until it is pale white in colour.
- Once the cake is out of the oven and cooled fully, add your buttercream to one side of the cake and the jam onto the other.
- Now stack together and place on a cake stand or a plate, and then top of the cake with a light dusting of icing sugar to decorate.
Suitable for vegetarians.